Gingerbread men are synonymous with Christmas baking, and this easy to follow 5-step recipe from Rado Georgiev, Head Pastry Chef at Lancaster London, promises perfect gingerbread men every time.
- 350g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 50g egg
- 4 tbsp Maple syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and maple syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in Clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.